Monday, March 17, 2014

Wrong message

On Friday I had a phone call wanting someone that doesn’t live here. After saying they had got the wrong number, the caller started to tell me about a homeless shelter for abused women here in Hamilton called Interval House.

The caller explained that women could stay there 27 days and that they were mostly full to capacity. He went on to say that he works for a fund rising company and they wanted to know if I would be willing to donate to this organization.

I asked hem a few questions that he could not answer except for one. I asked him what happens to all the people that they turn away because they are full. His answer was they refer them to other shelters.
My two questions are.

a) What percent of my donated dollar goes to the charity?
b) Why would I donate to an organization that wants money to simply refer people to another shelter?

Ron Payne
Welfare Legal
Hamilton, Ontario
Email welfarelegal2004@hotmail.com
Blog http://welfarelegal.blogspot.ca/

No comments: